• Bartholomew Owl is the beloved councillor of
Ballymore. He has lived in his treehouse, on the north shore of
Ballymore pond, for many years.
• Brigit Badger (Dr. Brigit) is the Ballymore doctor
and specialises in herbal medicine. She lives next to Bartholomew.
• Petunia Porcupine lives on the northwest shore next
to Dr. Brigit. She grows fruits and vegetables in her large garden and
orchard. She also makes scrumptious baked goodies.
• Wilde and Wilder Weasel are brothers. They are the
mischievous, unofficial security guards for Ballymore and live on the
• Malcolm and Maeve Mole and their children, Melrose
and Merwin, live on the southwest shore. They dig tunnels, foundations,
and other excavations.
• Grenby Groundhog is Ballymore’s eccentric weather
forecaster for nine months a year (he sleeps the other three). His small
hut is next to the moles’ cottage.
• Reginald and Rhonda Rabbit and their children,
Robbie, Rachel, and Rain, live on the south shore. They assemble
beautiful flower baskets and bouquets from their large flower garden.
Reginald is the Ballymore tailor and cobbler.
• Sedgewick and Sofie Squirrel and their children,
Shane and Seely, live on the south shore next to the rabbits. They
construct roofs for Ballymore cottages and other buildings.
• Charles and Cheryl Chipmunk and their children,
Colin, Conner, and Craig are helpers. They will help with almost
anything if they are not playing. They live next to the squirrels on the
• Farley and Fionna Frog and their children, Finnilly
(Finn) and Faith, live on the southeast shore. They are the wonderful
Ballymore artists. Finn is a pal of the weasels.
• Burton and Beatrice Beaver and their children, Birch,
Birk, and Belva, build the excellent Ballymore cottages and other
structures. They live across the creek from the frogs on the southeast
• Morris Muskrat builds furniture for the residents and
lives on the northeast shore. He is one of Bartholomew’s best
• Bartley and Bree Bluebird and their children, Branna,
Britt, and Brie operate the very efficient Ballymore messenger service.
Their treehouse is next to Morris on the northeast shore.
• Devon and Dahlia Duck and their children, Declan,
Darma, and Deirdre, transport goods and residents around Ballymore on
their raft. They live on the east end of the island.
• Stoddard and Sean Swan procure needed goods for the
residents from afar. They live in the centre of the island.
NOTE: The setting for this book is Ireland in 1891. You
may notice that some of the animals in the book do not normally live in
Ireland. However, when you get to know them, I’m sure that you will
agree they are special. They can live where they choose.